Blind Bim's Emporium

In the Old Way- ask the old folks

Sunday, January 08, 2012

We can return and we can look behind

During my infrequent trips to Minneapolis in the 90s I used to make my rounds at the thrift stores and the record emporiums, scanning for the odd flotsam and jetsam that would make my life complete for about a day or so. Inevitably, I would pick up the free weeklies that lay in the racks by the door. One of these publications was Cake, which I enjoyed for its sense of humor and topical issues. There was the usual information intended to push product for the latest trendy bands, but it was presented in articles that were often by band members, which had the effect of dissolving the musician's artificial stage posture. Thus, the articles were very readable and there was a jaunty sense of humor about the whole affair.

I became so enamored of the magazine that not only did I subscribe to it, I submitted articles for publication. So I began to correspond with Hap, the editor. Soon we were exchanging phone calls and found that we shared much. She had a very fluid and inquisitive mind. Of course, she had a fetish for food and knew all sorts of fun facts about candy. I also seemed to gain an acquaintance with her regular staff of writers, which included Heidi and Chank, who were a couple. There were issues devoted to pirates, spies, candy, sports, etc.. so all the music info was funneled through these themes. As I said, the mag was fun. Hap had great taste in music- except for the time she lionized Jewel when her first album was released. But I've forgiven her many times over because she introduced me to Mary Lou Lord.

When I moved to Minneapolis a decade later I was disheartened to find out that Hap had moved to Austin and the magazine had turned to Toast (literally- that was the name of it)
and then folded. I poked around and found out that a friend knew Heidi and Chank, but I never pressed him for an introduction. I once approached one of her former boyfriends (who had gained some renowned as boozy cable access show host) and he said that he could only reach her by Facebook messaging. I made a quick contact with her to receive an address and sent a holiday card to her a week ago.

This past Saturday I was at the dance studio hanging out while K & L did their shuffling and gallivanting and I picked up a local magazine. There were a couple photo spreads about art events. I looked closely at an art bicycle show from last summer and realized that I was looking at photos of Heidi and Chank. They both happened to be located in this same event write-up. A quick text to my friend confirmed their identities.

I stand amazed at how we can keep returning from whence we came. Then I came home to find the holiday card that I had sent to Hap had been returned to sender, address unknown. So, where are you Hap? A lonely nation turns its eyes to you...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home